Tuesday, February 20, 2007

No longer in “those” kinds of stores

My grandmother believed that only those kinds of people used the word “pregnant.” My mother believed that only those kinds of girls wore shorts. When I came of age, only those kinds of stores carried erotica.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, we’re all those kinds of things now. The word “pregnant” is no longer offensive, my mother hit menopause and discovered the joy of shorts, and even respectable print markets want to cash in on the money erotica brings—HarperCollin’s Avon Books now has Avon Red and Kinsington has Aphrodisia. You can find yaoi manga and erotica anthologies inside the doors of Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Waldenbooks. WalMart caved and pulled some of Yaoi Press’s titles, but WalMart is a punk like that.

These are the times where change is a beautiful thing! So now, to all of my friends who say, “Why don’t you write things that are more mainstream?”

I can say, “I write what I love and, oh, guess what, it is mainstream.” I’m going to keep writing those kinds of books as long as I damn well please. ^_^

No comments: