Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Unusual reference book rec.

In an earlier blog, I spoke about using quirks such as OCD to help bring character’s depth.

There’s something we can use to help lend some depth to stories. Superstitions.

I’m going to rec a book to everyone. “The Encyclopedia of Superstitions.” By: Christina Cole. If I’m reading the cover right, the edition I have was published by Barnes and Noble with the cooperation of Helicon Publishing Limited.

I hope you can find a copy.

This book goes into some very old superstitions as well as some newer ones. I used the information provided in this book in Full Circle and if you write period pieces you may want to check out some of the popular beliefs for whatever time frame you’re using.

I used superstition, that I didn’t assume the reader would know and used a character to introduce the idea, as a teeny hint for something with Full Circle. It’s a little thing that I expect most readers to miss it. When it comes to fruition (most likely in sequel) there should be an “Oh!” moment with the reader.

As a writing tool, I love it. As a book, I enjoy it.

Even if you don’t have a particularly superstitious character (putting in some might add character depth), it is chock full of plotbunnies waiting to be born.

No comments: