Friday, October 20, 2006

We're an odd bunch.

Unless my perspective is wrong, most of the writers and readers of m/m erotic romance are women. I think men may take up the bulk of the short-short stories, but for the e-books it seems like women dominate.

At first, I didn't think much about this. Then, I started meeting people (heterosexual women) who were not only pro m/m, but anti-het. They will actually leave a story if there is a het element. Which means, there is an aversion to reading their sexuality.

What does that say about the bedrooms and intimate relationships of these types of readers? The sociologist and anthropologist in me wants to find a problem here, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I find m/m fiction a lot hotter than most het fiction. That's why I write m/m and not het. I have no problems in my bedroom, so maybe I'm drawing a connection that doesn't exist.

Does one's choices in fiction reflect anything about their real lives? What do you think?

No comments: